Monday, October 3, 2016

#MelanomaThroughMyLens in Montreal - Sept. 27 2016


Last week I had the pleasure of taking a little trip to Montreal, Quebec, as a guest of the Melanoma Through My Lens Reflection Project team.  I flew from Toronto for the day, in order to meet the other folks from the e-book, and to participate in a launch event showcasing the development of the e-book and it's overall story.  

It was an honour to share time with Mike, Terry, Kathy, and Susan, swapping stories about our experience with melanoma and the impact it has had on our lives and families.  We felt an instant comaraderie, we laughed, we cried... it was great.  I am so very grateful for the experience. (just missed Danika)  
Thought I would share a few photos from the event:






Being as my commute to Toronto airport adds a few hours at each end of a trip from there, I was invited to fly to Montreal the evening prior to the event - perfect!  I flew in Monday evening and had a chance to poke around Old Montreal - it was totally worth the crazy taxi rides into and out of downtown.  

I was able to see much of the old downtown (New France! ~ circa 1824) in the dark, and even in the dark it was spectacular.  In fact one Montrealer told me that it may even be better at night... it comes alive.  

True, many of the buildings were lit up, and there were art light show installations around every corner.  On the wall of the building above the original Bank of Montreal even, there was a video depicting historical events of the area.  And across the square... the lovely Notre Dame Basilique, my starting point for walking tour.  









I got to see the harbour as well, the St. Lawrence River glistening black behind it.  And I admired many gothic-style buildings lit up in festive red or blue lights.  I toured through the Place Jacques Cartier behind where there was an active protest against the Montreal banning of pit bulls, and I took photos of the cobblestone square in every direction. 

I then made my way toward the dinner reservation I had made from home, at one of Chuck Hughes' restaurants: le Bremner  


Not entirely easy to find, but once you're in there O M G  ..... heaven.  A fine dining seafood restaurant with an eclectic modern vibe set in a sunken basement open-air dreamy place that I vow to return to.  Being as I was solo, I sat at the bar - great choice for many reasons of course! ;-)  The bartender Antony, and Eddie, the oyster-shucking pro made me feel right at home, sharing stories of the restaurant and of Montreal.  


I met a sweet couple there also, with whom I shared dessert - le Bremner's home-made "ferrero rocher" chocolates.  For the record, they all found my stories of Meaford dressed in scarecrows quite amusing.  :-)    Sadly, Chuck Hughes was not there... I will have to do a better job of stalking him next time!

www.chuckhughes.ca


I flew home after the meeting event and luncheon, honoured to have had the opportunity to put so many faces to names.  I feel like I had been treated like royalty...or a rock star.  We are all in this together - the mutual admiration in the room was truly lovely.  


Thank you to all involved... to my new friends, and to Save Your Skin Foundation and to the folks behind www.melanomajustgotpersonal.ca  I hope to see you all again soon.

http://www.saveyourskin.ca/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/Save_Your_Skin_Ebook.pdf
 

No comments:

Post a Comment